Aug 1, 2009

Dyckia gradeae (name proposal)



Dyckia gradeae is a new finding from up North Mato Grosso and Goiás
border. This is a very beautiful and colorful plant. When under good sun it gets green, blueish/purple and silver all over.
Now the plant is facing our cold, short and grey Southern winter days.
When a plant from up North the Cerrado region blooms here in the South during winter time it is almost impossible to get fruits from these flowers. Cold seem to act agaisnt the fertiliztion and cell division and it doen´t need to be a polar cold. Temperatures below 15 degrees Celsius deprive the fertilization and cell division. So even the ovaries full of embryos stop the cell division and abort the seed making.
Observe these two flower spike here. The first to bloom has some fruits and second one that bloomed during the harsh cold of our South Brazil winter.

Yes, we do have bananas! But we have cold too.
One of the luxuries of my country are the fruits in here.
I just ate some new fruits from up, up North.
Wow! The thing is sweeter than refined white sugar. We call than pinhas.
Wow! I will take some shots and show then to you.
I am just sorry for you....
Yes I am mad about fruits!
Pinha that is the name of the fruit all Gods grave for...
The flavor? It would take me all my words and I wouldn´t describe it...delicious...





No comments:

Post a Comment