Mar 10, 2011

A hard to believe story...

Dyckia cabrerae rubra

Dyckia cabrerae is a Santa Catarina native to  rare plant.
It grows in west and it is used to snow and heavy frosts.
Notice these frost and this snow  ever melts before noon.
It is a thin long leaved sole green plant and I would say graceless.
Even thought it is one of the rarest plants in Santa Catarina.
It grown amid rock outcrops  in grass pasture fields of Lages and Campos Novos.
I had a wonderful species..a rarity amid the rare, Dyckia cabrerae rubra.
When in its full glory  it was something to behold.
Once a guy came to visit me and became fascinated by it and he announced he would have one.
I had just a only one and explained that as soon as the plant presented a sprout the first would be his.
Believe it or not..the guy left around  4PM. He came in around 3PM in full Sun. Before dusk that day the plant was sure death!!!!!!!! He never touched the plant nor put anything on it but his eyes.
This was one of the times I cried over a death plant...
A month after I removed the dried plant and dump it in a sad funeral ritual.
The pot was there with the substrate still in it.
Today, more than a year later I dumped the substrate and what I came to?
A stolon was there still within the substrate well close to the pot border where it got some vestige of light...
It is here! Just transfered.. a miracle and the most precious species plant in my entire collection..more than 250 different species and hybrids.
I wish  it to grow to show this to you otherwise no one is going to do it.
Another point: all picture I made of that cabrerae are lost forever from my PC.
How to explain?
But the story goes on.
Cabrearae bloomed once here and I made some hybrids.
All the seedlings died when rain water clogged within the seedling pot.
I had have very intriguing small hybrid plant I though would be strange looking
Dyckia beateae and Dyckia sp from Campo Alegre.
I was pondering with my wife Raquel about those two plants that they were plants with too many leaves to be  a Dyckia beateae hybrid.
She simply said: "oh, these two I saved from that tray of rotten seedlings you dumped. These I plantes and I am following them since then. I put the very same tag that was with those rotten seedlings  with them. Look and see it."
Raquel never cared for a seedling unless they are anthuriun ones.
Surprising!
 
 ..and now the good news:
the plants seem to be pure strain Dyckia cabreare seedlings.
They were taken from the cabrerae flower stem and the brush may  have not being efficient enough to pollinate the whole ovary system of a flower.





2 comments:

  1. What a miracle, and great saving for posterity as these are very beautiful plants! I love the color, and grace of the leaf form. So good to have them in the world...Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your visitor story is scary. Do you know him personally? I'm glad to know your D. cabrerae still survives.

    ReplyDelete