Jan 5, 2010

Dyckia platyphylla....hummmmm is it real or a real fake or the Great Pretender from the Dyckia World?


Dyckia platyphylla is at least a highly suspicious species.
Has it ever existed in Nature?
Up to now none has found it anywhere but in cultivation everywhere.
It is claimed to be found in Bahia but the place is well known and never once a single plant was found.
Many species were found there but none that looked close to any platyphylla.


Is this the Great Pretender?


Topping all these facts there is one at least very very indicative.
When you cross Dyckia mer-lapostollei and Dyckia brevifolia you get
to a plant very very close to Dyckia platyphylla. Even an expert would not tell them apart.


Some Dyckia Mundo a hybrid from Dyckia marnier-lapostollei and Dyckia brevifolia crossing are so Dyckia platyphylla no one can tell them apart even when blooming.


Can this pretty baby here be a feigned, cunning, illusionist plant?
...so we are face to the real  simulans Dyckias.
This all makes Dyckias even more intriguing and make us all remind that Scince is a Human Tool.
Something to be useful and used, something to help us to understand the world we live in and not a God. Science is just like an ancient Mytologic Greek God as it is full of all the Human features...
A true real scientist is the one who is continuously on searching, asking, not accepting, intrigued all the time and ever asking: why not exactley the opposite of what they are leading me to believe...
Science is never set, never done, never ready, never satisfied.
True Science is not a sea of certainty but a tremendously big basket of doubts.
If it were a place it would be the most instable one the most tempestuous sea. 
Nothing is set and everything is ever to be done, found, understood...

...and what we do understand is that we undertand nothing.
If Science were a place this place would be ever to be reached...

If it were a sea this sea would be The Sea of Doubts...
If it were a cathedral it would be a Catalan one..ever on building ...
If it were you I would sit by your side and we would talk. I would persuade you
to teach me how to feed the famines, to cure the ills, to aniquilate Cancer, Aids, Hunger.
I would do my best in order to make you wiser and even if I matched my goal I know I would still be alone
without my doubts....so I could never give you all of them...If I did Hope would be forever lost.





No comments:

Post a Comment