Dec 31, 2011

The first and the only Dyckia ibiramensis rubra !!!!!!!!

Dyckia ibiramensis rubra!!!!
The first one you see!!!
Dyckia ibiramensis is native to Ibirama in Santa Catarina where my mother was born.
It is a reofitic species described by Raulino Reitz.
It is extremely rare in nature and  efforts have being made to preserve it.
It grows in three small rocky areas within the Hercílio River white waters.
i sowed thousands of  seeds and got two dark  plants. they are not hybrids!!!
In nature they do not have the chance to appear as it is a miracle a single seed to germinate there.
A big dam was built up stream years ago to prevent floods and this  ruined its habitat and behavior.
Maybe this is the most  important new by my own.
I wish this to be named after my mother, Izabel da Silveira Gastaldi who was born close buy Dyckia ibiramensis habitat:
Dyckia ibiramensis var. Izabel Gastaldi

1 comment:

  1. Very nice gesture naming a plant after your mother. My brother Bob Whitman, created a Cryptanthus hybrid and name it after my mother, Cryptanthus 'Ingeborg Whitman'

    ReplyDelete