May 16, 2012

The whitest Dyckia of all....

Well, things are not so easy as people may think to they are  and not  as I wish.
I´ve heard of a very beautiful  New found Dyckia species way down South, Southwest from where I live.
I made some contacts and I needed to see it to really believe it is true. the new found Dyckia species is so white you think it does not exist at all.
Just one population was found and it is well and very well protected,
I was allowed to take picture but under the promise of not showing them on  the Internet or anywhere else.
Two plants will be sent to to guarantee they are at safe as the local is attacked by fire once and a while.
I travelled 1508 km just to to get there.
I got back home fascinated and happy.
The plant is on a steep slope of very old and eroded rock.

Thing are not just go into the wilderness and pick up whatever we wish.
Our wilderness is not  a gigantic supermarket.
These are good news and also good the position of the scientists/botanists.
I loved to talk to them, to learn with them and also showing and getting respect.
This is much important.

The plant name will  show respect to a historic hero  in Rio Grande do Sul and Santa Catarina.
Giuseppe Garibaldi an Italian who helped to unify Italy and also in Brazil 
fought some  gigantic local battles. He was a Southern hero and still is.

So we may see some day: Dyckia garibaldii
..and you will remember this.
Joinville, santa Catarina , Brazil
May16Th, 2012





.

No comments:

Post a Comment