May 10, 2012

New, new...the newest!!!



I was this early morning  tending my plants when a familiar voice spoke:
"Good morning Dr. Constantino, I have news for you."
The voice  belonged to a young male athlete, a moutain climber I met four years ago in Campo Alegre ( close by Joinville where I live, only uphills located) when
searching for  Dyckias. This guy and two others were training on a vertical granite slope almost downtown Campo Alegre. We met on top of the slope. I  climbed the easy way any can climb and the climbers choose the most difficult one.
We talked about climbing and plants once we met on top of the hill.
This very same guy bought  to me a red  Delicata Tomba Bodes and the Delicata golden form. 
I would never had them without his, youth, talented  climber skills and kindness.
I turned my head just to see him smiling..he was hiding behind him this plant you see here.
"I caught another one, do you have it?"
I was in seven heavens in a micro second!!!



Small and heavily coated with a white film of very small scales.
The plant has stiff leaves  and came from a huge granite vertical slope we devise from Joinville airport.
We must  drive for a few minutes and reach the Babitonga Bay, cross it and reach a luxuriant tropical rain forest on the other side. One must cross 800 meters of  almost impenetrable jungle to get to the base of the vertical slope that faces north northwest.
I always imagined Dyckias would grow there but simply there is no way for me  to get there.
My heart went  almost out my mouth and I had to swallow it several times.
" I just got this one cause the others were too far away from my route but there are red ones and very white ones. Just one  had flower and they are red."
I could not listen to him clearly....my eyes clued on his right hand...
"I will get bach there and now all the was is well marked and we left the staples there on the rocks. We shall eventually change the route to reach the plants..."
 He said of just one population and some rare scattered individuals.
The plants face a terrible fiercing Sun and the only possible  time to climb is  late Autumn or early Spring.





Just in order to talk about it we will name this Dyckia sp Babitonga Bay.
I am still floating way up in mid air....

 
 
 


.

No comments:

Post a Comment